News and updates from ENCOUNTER
Successful 4th ENCOUNTER conference,
The 4th ENCOUNTER-Conference „Managing manorial heritage. Scaling and balancing of private and public issues “, 5th–7th October 2018 www.encounter-viadrina.de
On 5th–7th October 2018 the Chair of Heritage Studies at the European University Viadrina Frankfurt (Oder) hosted the 4th ENCOUNTER-Conference entitled „Managing manorial heritage. Scaling and balancing of private and public issues“. The three-day conference was organized in cooperation with the research department “Dynamics of Communication, Knowledge and Spatial Development” of the Leibniz Institute for Research on Society and Space (IRS) in Erkner. The conference was opened by Minister of Culture and Science of the Federal County Brandenburg Martina Münch.
Unlike previous ENCOUNTER-conferences, the conference in Frankfurt focused on the management of manors instead of cultural historical issues. The topic originated from the insight, that manors and country houses are affected by the structural problems specific to rural areas. On the other hand, if managed properly, they touristic potential can ensure the existence of many villages and enhance the touristic offer of the whole region.
Those and related issues were reflected in the conference papers, presented by panelists from Northern, Central and Eastern Europe in three sections, related to the heritage governance in tourism and spatial planning (macro-level), associations and lobbies (meso-level) and finally strategies of individual development. On the whole around 50 participants from Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Sweden, Switzerland, The Netherlands, United Kingdom attended.
A separate section was devoted to the manors in Brandenburg and in Eastern Germany with their countless estates. On the last day of the conference the theoretical reflection on ist cultural heritage was combined with practice during a study visit to the manors of Sieversdorf, Gusow, Neuhardenberg and Alt-Madlitz – each one with a different history of refurbishment and management.
The conference was financed by the European University Viadrina Frankfurt (Oder) as well as Viadrina Research Center „B/Orders in Motion“ and the Leibniz Institute for Research on Society and Space. The accompanying opening of the exhibition about the Orange Route was supported by the Embassy of the Kingdom of The Netherlands.
The conference was covered by the DPA press agency and by various German media, among others Süddeutsche Zeitung, Die Welt, FOCUS, Berliner Zeitung, RTL/Germany and the regional broadcaster RBB.
Media coverage – links:
- Märkische Oderzeitung, 02.10.2018: Ein Schloss für jedermann – Konferenz zu Nutzungskonzepten. https://www.moz.de/nachrichten/brandenburg/artikel-ansicht/dg/0/1/1684110/
- Süddeutsche Zeitung, 02.10.2018
- Berliner Zeitung, 02.10.2018
- Die Welt, 02.10.2018
- Berliner Morgenpost, 02.10.2018
- FOCUS, 02.10.2018
- Lausitzer Rundschau, 02.10.2018
- RTL Deutschland, 02.10.2018
- T-Online.de, 02.10.2018
- Europäische Bewegung Deutschland, 04.10.2018, Erhalt von Gutshäusern und Schlössern in Europa – Internationale Konferenz https://www.netzwerk-ebd.de/termine/euv-erhalt-von-gutshaeusern-und-schloessern-in-europa-internationale-konferenz/
- ICOMOS Deutschland https://www.icomos.de/index.php?lang=Deutsch&contentid=153&navid=223
- RBB-Fernsehen, Kurzdokumentation: Wechselvolle Geschichte der Herrensitze. Max Langebeck im Gespräch mit Paul Zalewski. Im „Brandenburg aktuell“ am 04.10.2018
- Idw – Informationsdienst Wissenschaft 16.08.2018, Erhalt von Gutshäusern und Schlössern – Internationale Konferenz an der Europa-Universität Viadrina https://idw-online.de/de/news700739